Wednesday 14 May 2014

Press ads are out of fashion

I'll never forget the first time I had a piece of work shortlisted at Cannes.

It was a print ad for Coles.

Yes you read that correctly. A print ad for a  boring old supermarket.

I came across a copy of that ad while clearing out stuff from the cupboard in my study the other day.

The ad had held up well but I doubt it'd get noticed at Cannes this year.

Not because the ad isn't good enough. It is.

But because these days I'd need to make a two minute film about it.

Yes I know I've ranted before about case study videos but it's getting worse.

Don't believe me?

In a recent profile of Australia's top Cannes contenders on Campaign Brief pretty much every piece of work was a 'thing' that needed a film to celebrate its genius.

Whatever happened to the good old days of people just making ads and punters loving them?