Monday 13 May 2013

A far from bright idea

I've spoken many times about my disappointment that rather than killing advertising the internet has actually been responsible for more of.

And most of it bad.

Case in point is the flashlight app on my iPhone.

That's a screenshot of the interface above.

Clean. Simple. And very easy to operate.

Last week they issued an update so I downloaded it. Of course.

Imagine my surprise when I opened it and saw that godawful little banner ad at the bottom of my screen.

Advertiser funded. Advertiser supported. Brand engagement opportunity.

Call it what you will but I cannot for the life of me understand why any brand would advertise on a banner in a flashlight app.

If you've ever used a torch (and I know you have) you'll know that you don't look at the torch you look at the beam of light it shines on the ground.

And never ever at a banner ad.