Wednesday 5 May 2010

Director of what?


I've just read that Telstra has appointed Mark Collis as Director of Creativity & Innovation.

A very interesting appointment. But also a confusing one.

For those who don't know, Collis is a very highly regarded advertising creative director, who was a key figure in the original Earth Hour concept.

Telstra as most everyone knows is Australia's biggest telco.

Over at Campaign Brief the comments are running hot. Most of them are advertising related as you would expect.

Which is why I'm confused.

Surely a Director of Creativity & Innovation has more important things to focus on than advertising?

In fact I'd have thought that was the role of the marketing people.

Although Collis will apparently be reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer.

This is the first time (as far as I'm aware) that an Australian company has employed a high profile creative person.

So what role will Mark Collis play at Telstra? I'd love to get your thoughts.