Monday 28 September 2009

Advertising or entertainment?


I went to the AFL Grand Final on the weekend and I saw I type of advertising I'd never seen before.

A live performance by a childrens choir.

The Qantas Choir to be precise.

They were billed in the program as being a part of the pre-match entertainment.

But they weren't entertainment at all. They were an ad for Qantas.

They performed the song that features in Qantas advertising.

During their performance a huge Qantas jet flew low over the stadium.

It was quite beautiful to be honest. But it was anything but entertainment.

How are Qantas allowed to get away with this sort of stuff.

And why do the AFL allow it to happen.

I don't have a problem with the performance. I just want it clearly labelled as a sponsorship message. Not a performance by a childrens choir.

Labels: , ,