Friday 29 December 2006

Music for the masses

I’ve always been in two minds about the use of pop songs in TV ads.

Are these songs merely a substitute for a strong idea, or are they so powerful that the song itself really is the idea?

Like I said, I’m in two minds.

I remember back in the Eighties when Nike did one of the first pop song powered TV spots, using Revolution by The Beatles.

Paul McCartney was so miffed at the time he declared, “Songs like Revolution don't mean a pair of sneakers, they mean revolution!"

As much as I agreed with McCartney, I couldn’t help disagreeing as well, because it was a damn good ad.

Same goes for the classic David Fincher directed Nike commercial below, which featured John Lennon’s rallying cry Instant Karma.



From the sublime to the pathetically ridiculous is the following dog turd of an ad for some sort of American Express card.

This ad features a song called Gimme Some Money from the movie Spinal Tap.



Now correct me if I’m wrong, but who the hell would want a credit card from the guys who gave us such classics as Smell My Love Pump and Break Like The Wind?

They’re not even a real bloody band, so we can’t even accuse them of selling out.

Like I said all that time ago, I’m in two minds.

As far as I’m concerned Nike and Apple can ransack my cd collection anytime. Great ads and great music.

The Amex Simply Cash creatives however should be locked in a room with A3 pads and a couple of Pentels and not be allowed out ‘till they’ve managed to crack a real idea.

Oh, and make sure someone confiscates their DVD of Spinal Tap.